Saturday, November 9, 2013

Kara Mae Davis

Kara Mae was born 11-2-2013 at 3:45 AM in Grand Island at Saint Francis Medical Center.  She weighed 5 pounds 14.5 ounces and measured 20 3/4 inches long.
On 11-1-2013 we had one of our last scheduled OBGYN appointments.  The nurse and doctor took my blood pressure a couple of times because it was 140/90.  Too high!  I was only dilated 1 1/2 cm but with the blood pressure so high, our doctor decided it was a good idea to head to the hospital!  So, we drove Justin's work car home, loaded up our bags, and headed to the hospital.  We checked in at the birth center and we were given room 221.  We had great nurses!  Julie, Denise, Steph, and the rest of birthing center staff were great!  At 8 PM I was given a small pill behind my cervix to help continue dilating.  Justin and I walked around the birthing floor about 4 times and contractions had started to get stronger.  I made it to 6 1/2 cm dilated before I decided to have an epidural.  I had told Justin to remind me that I wanted to try to deliver naturally without any medicine.  But in the heat of the moment....I quickly changed my mind!!  I've always been a bit indecisive!  :)  I was given an epidural around 2:30 AM and practiced pushing a bit before the nurses told me to hold on so the doctor could get there to deliver our baby!  Needless to say, she was born shortly after and I didn't have to push too long at all!!  She came out crying and BEAUTIFUL!  I told her we had waited and waited for her while Justin cut the cord.  She was here finally!!!  They whisked her away to do her APGAR which was good, bathe her, and brought her back to me.  Justin finally got to hold her a bit later.  It was all pretty surreal but the most scary thing was that she'd had a knot in her cord.  We hadn't had an ultrasound since 20 weeks because she was continuing to grow and develop.  After having an ultrasound every visit up to that point, we had made it past the "scary" point and didn't need to continue having regular ultrasounds.  BUT she is okay...healthy, beautiful, and growing already!  We couldn't have asked for a better experience, a healthier and more beautiful baby girl, or our hearts to be filled with more love for her and each other!





No comments:

Post a Comment